Here is a recipe on "Gul Ertesuppe" (Yellow Pea Soup) Tastes good accompanied with "Mors Flatbread".
As delicious as it is easy to make.
Sort peas. Place in boiling water in large heavy kettle over moderate heat; add salt pork. Cover and simmer about 1-1/2 hours. Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until quite thick (about the consistency of gravy). Add salt if desired.
What You'll Need:
- 1 pound dried yellow or green peas (whole if you can get them, but split ones work just as well)
- 8 cups water
- 2 finely chopped onions (2 cups)
- 1 peeled whole onion studded with 2 cloves
- 1 large chopped carrot (1/2 cup)
- 1 meaty ham bone -or- 2 to 3 ham hocks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
How to Make It:
- Rinse and pick through 1 pound of dried yellow or green peas. If using whole peas, soak the peas overnight in water to cover by about 2 inches (this isn’t necessary if using split peas so long as you can let the soup simmer for 2 to 3 hours).
- Fill a large pot with 8 cups of water or 6 cups if you like a thicker soup. You can always thin it with water as you go along if it looks too dense.
- Add the drained peas, 2 finely chopped onions, 1 peeled whole onion studded with 2 whole cloves, 1 large chopped carrot, and a meaty ham bone (or 2 to 3 ham hocks).
- Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam, then cover pot and reduce to a simmer over low heat for 90 minutes.
- If using whole peas, skim off any pea skins that have risen to the surface. Remove 2 to 3 cups of the soup, puree in a blender or food processor, and return puree to the pot (this helps to thicken the soup).
- Continue to simmer for at least 30 more minutes, even another hour or more won’t hurt it.
- Thirty minutes before serving, remove the studded onion and the meat. Chop the meat (it should amount to about 1 cup) and return to pot.
- Season the soup with 1 teaspoon dried thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Simmer 15 more minutes.
- READY TO SERVE IN A DEEP DISH.